People, travel and data

People and travel

Should we expect longer travel times when travelling on business to Europe?

Staff should be aware that travel times may be affected, and that they may need to spend more time planning business trips to Europe. It may take much longer to clear passport control in some countries.

Staff may need to consider carrying a travel pack with proof of UK address, proof of funds for the trip, proof of customer visits and return flight details, for instance, much like visa applications.

Remind staff that they will need to check passports regularly if travelling to the EU on business after Brexit, and make sure that on the day of travel their passport has at least six months left to run and is less than 10 years old (even if it has six months or more left).

Ensure that the right travel insurance is in place to cover healthcare, as EHIC cards may not be valid after Brexit. If you're driving in the EU, do check that you have the right driving documents too, including an International Driving Permit.

What do I need to do about the EU Settlement Scheme?

Some employees may not be able to continue living or working in the UK as they do now, if they do not apply to the scheme. Read the government’s guidance carefully


What do I need to do about EU data flow?

If you have an EU-based employee or office, they will need to amend contractual clauses to account for the flow of data from an EU office to comply with the UK being outside the EU. It is worth highlighting that it is their responsibility to continue to comply with EU regulations after Brexit.


Passport checker tool

Travel insurance guidance

International Driving Permit guidance

Guide to visiting the EU in a no-deal scenario

Guide to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status) and timelines

ICO guidance on data protection compliance for small businesses in a no-deal Brexit