Job title: Senior Rights Manager
Company: Canongate Books
Location: London or Edinburgh
Is this role permanent? Yes
Is this role full-time? Yes
Salary: £36,000 – £40,000 per annum, depending on experience
Contact: [email protected]
Closing date: Midday, Friday 20th May
Canongate Books is one of the UK’s leading independent publishers – in 2021, we were named Independent Publisher of the Year and one of our Rights team won Rights Professional of the Year, and are again shortlisted for both these awards in 2022, along with others – and we’re looking for an enthusiastic and hardworking Senior Rights Manager to join the Rights and Contracts team in our London or Edinburgh offices.
Our ideal candidate will be a creative and passionate rights professional with at least four years’ experience in a busy Rights department pitching and selling books; with excellent communication and organisational skills; close attention to detail; a head for numbers; experience with contracts and a knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, Biblio and InDesign.
Responsibilities will include:
- Depending on experience, handling a mix of direct markets and sub-agented territories, meeting publishers and sub-agents at international book fairs, in the office and on targeted rights trips
- Line manager for Rights Assistant and managing rights & contracts work of Finance & Contracts Assistant
- Contributing to submission strategies for Canongate titles with rights
- Reading and reporting on titles coming through acquisitions
- Managing delivery of material to international publishers
- Coordinating material for Book Fairs, including digital material for the team, from sales figures and existing foreign publisher information for our authors, plus status of material for submissions and sample material where available
- Regular meetings and updates with the scouts
- Oversee regular team-wide biblio rights reports on covers, publication dates, expiries/renewals and royalties
This is a full-time, permanent role reporting to the Rights & Contracts Director.
Salary range £36,000 – £40,000 per annum, depending on experience
To apply, please send your CV (including contact details for two references) and a covering letter to Jessica Neale, Rights & Contracts Director, detailing why you feel you are suitable for this role. Email to [email protected] The deadline for applications is midday Friday 20th May.
Canongate is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and its employment policies for recruitment are designed to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity/paternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position. We will keep your information securely until 1 July 2022. Unless you are the successful applicant, all of your information will be deleted from our systems at that point.