Publisher, Bloomsbury Digital Resources (Maternity Cover)
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc
Is the role permanent?
Temporary, 12 Month Maternity Cover
Is the role full-time?
for general enquires only - [email protected]
Bloomsbury Digital Resources is looking for a digital Publisher to lead the creation, delivery and management of our award-winning digital products in history, theology, religion and sport. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a passion for and a proven track record in creating and managing digital products for the higher education market. The role is part of the Digital Editorial team, reports into the Digital Portfolio Director for the Humanities and Social Sciences and is responsible for line management of two members of staff.
Bloomsbury Digital Resources is committed to serving a global community of students, scholars, instructors, and librarians by providing creative online research and learning environments that deliver excellence and originality. Whether it be primary documents, critical texts, historical archives, or the latest in video and audio resources, we are committed to enhancing the research experience with innovative, engaging, and dynamic digital resources of the highest quality.
Bloomsbury offers a collegial working environment, with a dedicated and enthusiastic team committed to excellence and innovation.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Working with editors to brainstorm ideas for products within their subject areas
- Research and strategically target content providers for partnership opportunities, maintaining an ongoing list of leads
- Managing market research and competitor analysis
- Creating and presenting P&Ls and product business plans for new product concepts working with all relevant stakeholders
- Pitching, negotiating contracts and relationship building/management with external partners
- Ensuring that content is delivered to agreed specification and timeframe
- Working with cross-functional product teams to ensure products and updates are launched/delivered within the approved budget, schedule and agreed plan
- Championing products, reviewing product/platform performance, and actioning cross-functional initiatives to increase performance as required
- Contracting / developing products to a pre-agreed revenue target
- Participating in all phases of the product life cycle, with decision-making authority on issues regarding content
- Editorial budget tracking and reporting for launching and post-launch products; oversight of overall budget and profitability for products/platforms as project director
- Line management of two staff members at present
- Representing Bloomsbury at conferences and key library events, as required
Knowledge, skills and experience
- An entrepreneurial spirit and the imagination to conceive of large-scale projects that excite and engage end users and create profile for Bloomsbury as we scale our business
- The ability to think big and deliver
- Self-starter, focused on the competitive landscape, who thrives on winning business and moving new ideas and products forward
- Good interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Drive, determination and commercial creativity
- Solid experience in academic publishing, with a demonstrable track record of successfully advancing large-scale products – ideally from partnerships, and ideally digital
- A demonstrable ability to work well with others to advance common goals and a successful track record of working with partners / third party content providers – whether authors or licensors
- A demonstrable understanding of the value of the editorial process to product success
- A track record of meeting targets and deadlines
- Knowledge of emerging trends and issues in the academic marketplace, particularly in relation to digital products and library sales
- Line management experience
The role is a full-time 12-month Maternity cover position
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are: Wednesday and Thursday.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the URL below detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Friday 2nd June.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
- Two paid Personal Wellness Days
- Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
- Season Ticket Loan
- Sharesave Scheme
- In-house Doctor
- Eyecare Voucher Scheme
- Company culture – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom (BAME), Accessibility, Mental Health, Pride, and Parents, Guardians and Carers) and 8 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.