Sweet Cherry Publishing
22k pa depending on experience
Is the role permanent?
Is the role full-time?
Contact details: [email protected]
Sweet Cherry Publishing is an award-winning independent book publisher based in the Midlands and we invite you to join our mission to make books accessible and affordable for all children.
Do you love books? Are you keen to share the joys of reading with more people? Do you have a passion for media and publicity?
We’re looking for a Publicist to deliver our communication strategy, promote our books with more audiences and support our growing brand.
You’ll get to work collaboratively with an inclusive, fun and creative team of passionate publishers and storytellers to raise awareness of our growing list of books, brands, authors and illustrators. You’ll also work closely with the marketing team to support our yearly targets and marketing strategy. The role also comes with opportunities to attend fun events, work with major brands and play a key role in the growth of our publishing company.
Key skills and responsibilities:
- Working with the Head of Marketing to plan and execute publicity plans
- Raising awareness of Sweet Cherry’s brand, books, authors and illustrators
- Pitching for coverage in trade and consumer publications, both print and digital
- Pitching and submitting for book awards and prizes
- Deriving newsworthy stories and PR hooks to pitch for interviews and features
- Delivering press strategies to increase the reach of our products, partners and brands
- Writing and distributing press releases and other media communications
- Planning and delivering digital communication campaigns across social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Linkedin) and digital publications ● Planning and attending B2B and B2C events, including book launches, festivals and conferences
- Liaising with media partners, journalists, bloggers and influencers
- To maintain a range of PR systems, from our contacts database to our review tracking to our awards submissions, and to compile and deliver our proof mailings
- Communicating publicity plans to key internal and external stakeholders
- To act, where appropriate, as an ambassador for the company, pitching new titles at sales, retail and library conferences and promoting products to consumers
Key Skills and Experience:
- At least 3 years experience working in publishing
- Proven experience in delivering communication strategies for brand growth
- Experience in planning and executing a diverse range of PR campaigns
- Experience in trade publishing, preferably in children’s books
- Existing network of national, regional and digital press contacts
- Understanding of the different audiences in children’s publishing
- Understanding of the children’s media industry
- Good Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Acrobat skills
- Great Microsoft Word/Google Docs, Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets
- Energy and passion to promote reading for pleasure
- Excellent IT skills and experience quickly learning new software
- Impeccable executive-level verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organisation skills with the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to drive a culture of innovation and continuous improvement
- Flexible working hours
- Training and development
- Opportunities for career progression and leadership
- Out-of-office days for meetings and events
- Staff purchases at cost price
Hours: Full-time: 40 hours per week - Monday to Friday
Core office hours: 9.30am to 4.30pm
30-60 minute lunch break (unpaid)
Salary: from £22k (depending on experience)
If you would like to be part of our fun, diverse and award-winning publishing team, please send your CV and cover letter to recruitmen[email protected] with the subject line ‘Publicist’.
Sweet Cherry champions diversity and inclusivity in publishing careers. We welcome job applications from people with diverse professional backgrounds and life experiences.
Our recruitment process is free from discrimination, including based on race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender and sexuality.