Is the role full time?
Yes, 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Is the role permanent?
Permanent, subject to a 6-month probationary period
Dependent on experience
Contact: [email protected]
Reports to: Managing Editor
Would you like to be involved in the creation of children’s books? If so, we want to hear from you!
Sweet Cherry Publishing is an independent children’s publisher based in Leicester. We are now looking for an office based Editor to join our team.
Our ideal candidate will be detail-orientated and organised with excellent writing skills and a positive work ethic. They will have good communication skills and an awareness of current trends in the children’s market.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organisation, or publication to develop new and exciting content for Sweet Cherry Publishing
- Attend meetings/external events/fairs at the request of the company that will benefit Sweet Cherry Publishing by bringing in new ideas
- Editing, Copy writing and proofreading projects to ensure they are ready to go to press
- To be organised and keep on top of deadlines
- Reading, writing and researching key words for new content book titles and liaise with sales.
- Ensuring that all content complies with ethical codes of practice and legal guidelines
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Give direct feedback to authors with clear direction and examples when editing a manuscript
- Communicate with authors to discuss deadlines, creative concepts and work
- Working with the design and production team to ensure that imagery accurately represents content and communicates the author’s vision
- Making corrections to InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator files
- Check final files before they are sent to print as part of the sign off process
- Liaising with the sales and marketing departments and ensuring that promotional material is kept up to date
- Page checking and quality control
- Ensuring all files adhere to the necessary printing guidelines
- Working closely with the foreign rights department to ensure that files are sent out correctly to the specifications of external companies
- Data management
- Implementing and maintaining house style
- Researching and understanding the current children’s book market
- Writing Copy
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Excellent writing skills and experience writing and editing text
- Meticulous attention to detail and exceptional spelling and grammar
- Good understanding of MS Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills
- A strong, proven interest in children’s books
- A positive, can-do attitude, willingness to learn and the ability to work from your own initiative
- A sense of fun!
Sweet Cherry Publishing is an independent children’s book publisher based in Leicester. We are a small team with a big mission! We believe that all children should have access to great stories and endeavour to break down the barriers which often get in the way of reading. We are a positive and fun team with kindness, success and collaboration at the core of our values. We are proud to represent our authors and are passionate about sharing engaging stories with children of all abilities and backgrounds.
Company Mission Statement: Bringing great stories within everyone’s reach.
Company Values: Kindness, Fun, Positivity, Collaboration, Helping Society
What we offer:
- Training and development
- Free onsite parking
- Workplace pension
Working Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Core office hours: 9am - 5pm
Location: Sweet Cherry Publishing, Units 1-4, Tolwell Road, Leicester, LE4 1BR
Term: Permanent, subject to a 6-month probationary period
Holiday: 20 days plus bank holidays
Starting salary: Depending on experience
To apply: Please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]