Desk Editor, Osprey Publishing
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc
Is the role permanent?
Is the role full-time?
for general enquires only - [email protected]
We are looking for a Desk Editor to join Osprey Publishing within the Special Interest Team at Bloomsbury.
Osprey Publishing is the UK’s leading illustrated military history publisher and we have been producing books for both enthusiasts and the wider market since 1968. We are part of Bloomsbury’s Special Interest division, which creates original and high quality content to support hobbies, enthusiasms and interests in a number of subject areas including military history, sports, religion, wildlife, creative writing and sailing.
We are looking for someone with previous professional experience of book project management in a dynamic editorial role, who has excellent communication skills and a good eye for detail and who is used to juggling a variety of tasks in a fast-paced environment. An enthusiasm for history would be an advantage. The role reports to the Editorial Director.
- To project manage assigned titles across the range of works that Osprey publishes: Osprey series titles, as well as selected hardback and paperback non-series titles, both illustrated and non-illustrated, from handover from commissioning editor through to publication.
- To ensure all books are published on time, to a high standard of quality and within budget while maintaining good working relationships with freelancers, authors, illustrators and internal departments (primarily Sales, Marketing and Production).
- To maintain accurate schedules, metadata and copy for all books in Biblio based on regular reports.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience of book project management within a professional editorial role
- Great organizational skills, time management and ability to prioritize a complex workload
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Copy editing and proofreading ability
- Budget management experience
- Good eye for detail
- IT competency, particularly with Word, Outlook, Excel and databases such as Biblio 3, and aptitude for learning new software
- Proactive attitude and professional manner
- An enthusiasm for history would be an advantage
The role is a full-time, permanent position (37.5 hours per week).
The role is based at our Oxford office, Kemp House, Chawley Park, Cumnor Hill, Oxford OX2 9PH, on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred).
Allocated office days for this role are Mondays and Tuesdays.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the URL below detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by 2nd of June 2023.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
- Two paid Personal Wellness Days
- Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
- Season Ticket Loan
- Sharesave Scheme
- In-house Doctor
- Eyecare Voucher Scheme
- Company culture – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom (BAME), Accessibility, Mental Health, Pride, and Parents, Guardians and Carers) and 8 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see our careers page
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.