Commissioning Editor – Fixed-Term 1-year Contract
Severn House (an imprint of Canongate Books)
£34k to £37.5k pa (depending on experience)
Is the role permanent?:
Fixed-Term Contract (1 year)
Is the role full-time?:
Contact Details: [email protected]
19 August 2022
We’re looking for an experienced fiction editor to commission new and repeat authors, and to edit multiple titles per month as a Commissioning Editor on the Severn House team, based in the London office with hybrid working options available.
This role would see you working closely with the Senior Commissioning Editor to ensure the Severn House publishing schedule of approximately 100 titles per year is full. You will take responsibility for an existing list of established Severn House authors as well as commission new authors who fulfil our unique requirements. Fiction editing experience is a must.
Key duties will include:
- Commission 1-2 books per month, which fit the Severn House brief and bring forward recommendations to Senior Commissioning Editor for discussion and approval
- Draw up costings and offers to be approved by Finance before negotiating deals with authors and agents
- Be lead editor for 2-4 titles per month, maintaining direct editorial relationship on key and developing authors and completing structural edits, AIs, cover briefs, cover copy and Biblio info on assigned titles.
What knowledge, skills, experience we’d like you to have:
- At least 5 years as a fiction editor with commissioning experience
- Able to respond flexibly to a busy workload and multiple deadlines
- A team player and a passionate reader, preferably of crime and mystery fiction
To apply, please send your CV (including contact details for two references) and a covering letter to Joanne Grant. Email to [email protected]