Hawthorn Press Ltd
Hawthorn House, 1 Lansdown Lane, Stroud GL5 1BJ
Is the role permanent?
Yes, depending on publishing success
Is the role full-time?
Negotiable and flexible
Martin Large, Publisher: 07765 006829 or [email protected]
October 31st 2023
Hawthorn Press seeks an assistant publisher with the potential to succeed the current Publisher. Ideally you will have all round publishing knowledge, skills and experience, plus a business grasp - maybe with an Oxford MA in Publishing or similar. Founded in 1982, our mission is to publish books for a more creative, earth caring and peaceful world. Book Series comprise storytelling, early years education, spirituality, Steiner/Waldorf education, crafts, social ecology, personal development (including women’s development,) and regenerative farming. See www.hawthornpress.com.
- Commissioning new books, market research, liaising with authors and maintaining good relationships throughout the publishing process.
- Writing AI’s, blurbs , website content and PRs for new books
- Reviewing content for quality, style and consistency
- Managing publicity and marketing
- Making the most of digital marketing
Ideally, you will have experience of working within a publishing environment. Desirable skills also include:
- An eye for detail.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience of working with authors and as part of a small publishing team.
- Commercial awareness with a sense for profitable books
- Selling and marketing experience
- Competence in Adobe Acrobat Pro, editing in Microsoft Word, Twitter, website editing, mail chimp etc
- Engagement with one or more of our Series’ areas
This flexible role is part or full time and depends on our success in continuing to publish profitable books. Our supportive team likes face to face working at our light and airy Stroud office, but hybrid working arrangements are possible. It would suit either someone who already has initial publishing experience, or a graduate with a publishing degree or a mid career change. To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter (convince us that you can take Hawthorn to a new level!) to Martin Large, Publisher, [email protected]
The closing date for applications is October 31st 2023.