Assistant editor, Embla Books
Bonnier Books UK
Victoria House, Bloomsbury Square, London
Is the role full time?
Is the role permanent?
£28,000 - £30,000 per annum
Embla Books is looking for an assistant editor with more than one year of publishing experience to join its dynamic, forward-thinking and collaborative creative digital team, with the aim of contributing significantly to the growth of their highly innovative and commercial list. Based in our new London offices, you’ll work closely alongside the editorial director on their list of titles and support their authors directly, as well as providing support to the wider editorial team.
- Working closely alongside the editorial director on their list and assisting them with market research, acquisition documents, author pitches, proofreading, cover briefing, general author care, production and distribution tasks.
- Undertaking administrative tasks as required, such as sending out contributor copies of books to authors and artists.
- Lead on creating sales materials and managing Embla’s relationships with the central sales team on key titles to focus on in print.
- Managing Biblio for all of our titles.
- Managing our transition to Ingram print on demand and supporting the managing editor with this and other production tasks.
- Undertaking final file and publication checklist tasks and supporting the successful distribution of all of our titles.
- Reading and evaluating submissions for commissioning editors and supporting commissioning editors on diversifying our acquisition pipelines as the list grows.
- Leading on putting together ‘best in class’ metadata for all our titles and regularly optimising our metadata across the list.
- Ensuring endmatter for all ebooks follows internal guidelines and is regularly updated in the most strategic ways.
- Updating reader quotes and Amazon pages for new releases during pre-order period and immediately post publication. Ensuring our Amazon pages follow best practices at all times and appeal directly to our target consumer market.
- Drafting acquisition press releases.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced, commercially-driven environment and loves the variety of working on multiple projects.
- Creativity, passion and the ability to come up with new ideas and think strategically about publishing across multiple genres.
- Understanding of publishing formats and genres within the digital space.
- Understanding of the editorial process and critical path.
- Strong commercial instincts for mass market fiction across English language markets.
- Experience of providing first class author care and confidence in liaising directly with authors and agents on a range of queries and areas of the trade.
- Ability to work independently and with initiative on editorial projects, with appropriate support and mentoring.
- Copy-editing and proofreading skills.
- Communication and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- A dynamic, proactive team player with a positive attitude.
If you are interested in this role, please apply via our website. We look forward to hearing from you.
Reports to: Cara Chimirri, editorial director
Working pattern: Flexible home working up to three days per week
Imprint: Embla Books
Bonnier Books UK is committed to building a diverse workforce through positive action. Currently, Black, Asian and Multi-Ethnic employees are under-represented in our workforce and we actively encourage applicants from these groups. For further information, please read our Diversity & Inclusion Action Plan here.
About Bonnier Books UK
At Bonnier Books UK, we believe that every book matters. We love to publish stories and content that open our eyes to new perspectives and bring us closer together. We offer a nurturing home for our authors, illustrators and brand partners, publishing bestselling books for readers and listeners everywhere. We know that fantastic stories can come from anywhere and our purpose is to bring them to as wide an audience as possible, a simple ethos that has led to us becoming one of the country’s leading publishers.
The offspring of Bonnier Books, a family-owned top-15 world publisher headquartered in Sweden, we are inspired by a rich literary heritage but not bound by convention. We think in generations rather than quarters, and strive always to operate in an open, curious way that contributes to the future of the planet and its people. As a climate-neutral publisher we are an active participant in the Science Based Target initiative, committed to a strategy to limit global warming to 1.5 °C.