The Independent Publishers Guild is the association for the thriving independent publishing sector in the UK and Ireland.
We have more than 650 members working across trade, children’s, academic, professional, educational and specialist publishing. They share annual turnover of more than £1bn, are based right across the UK, and produce much of the country’s most valuable, creative and diverse content. They contribute a huge amount to UK literature, publishing seven of the Man Booker Prize-winning books. They inspire a love of reading among children, and support millions of pupils with print and digital resources. They lead the way in many fields of academic research, and they serve numerous specialist communities with inspiring books.
The IPG is where these brilliant publishers meet. For more than 50 years, we have led a far-reaching and friendly network in which independent publishers can support one another, and we provide a wide range of resources and events to help them become better businesses. Our services include:
• Industry-leading events, including Spring and Autumn Conferences
• Free training and professional development resources via the IPG Skills Hub
• A weekly ebulletin rounding up news from across publishing
• Special Interest Groups dedicated to different areas of publishing
• A mentoring scheme with some of publishing’s most experienced leaders
• Access to collective stands at the London and Frankfurt Book Fairs
• The Independent Publishing Awards, an annual celebration of publishing excellence
• Free and unlimited use of a Business Support Helpline
• Support on rights via publishing’s leading expert
• Deals on a host of publishing services and products
• Representation on important industry issues
Membership of the IPG plugs you into the UK’s largest group of publishers and suppliers. We celebrate and champion the work of independent publishers and give our members access to the information and advice that they need to keep their business growing. If you work in independent publishing and are not yet a member, we would love to support you too.
There is a collective might when joined together and the IPG harnesses that, giving us opportunities that might otherwise be impossible. The events are a magnificent chance to network... I devour the newsletter and make use of everything that could be helpful... simply, priceless! - Orenda Books
A network of endlessly helpful people willing to share their wisdom and experience. The generosity and kindness of people who have been happy to help over the years, both through the IPG’s mentoring scheme and informally, is amazing and humbling. - UIT Cambridge
Everyone in the IPG is so willing to share ideas and expertise. We enjoy going to IPG events to learn about new developments and to network with other publishers. Every conversation at an IPG event... has been valuable and has helped us in some way. - Brilliant Publications